Saturday, May 14, 2011

Kwaheri, Africa!

On Saturday we finally presented all of our research findings to the community.  We practiced a lot the night before and everyone got dressed up, as much as you can in Africa.  Starting early in the morning, the Land Cruisers went out to pick people up from the various sites where each of the three groups conducted their research.  Government officials, local tribal people, and several mzungus who worked at tourist lodges came to hear about our month-long research projects on pressing environmental issues in the area.

The three projects were on topics ranging from institutional failure in management of water resources to viability of riverine systems and wildlife sanctuaries.  My group went first, and I presented part of our methods section.  Our presentation alone lasted an hour because of all of the questions.  The presentation itself went really well, but I was shocked at the end when people were jumping out of their seats to ask us questions.  Many of them were pleading to the government officials in attendance for help in fixing the water-related issues in their area.  Some of our findings, that a third of people consuming the river water became sick and conflicts were increasing in frequency and intensity such that many end in death or injury, were serious and need dire attention.  It suddenly hit me how important the work my group completed was in an area stricken by poverty and drought with such a heavy reliance on water.  Never until this project did I truly understand the struggles that people in certain parts of the world go through daily to obtain water. 

Leaving Africa on Wednesday was really emotional for everyone.  As we were driving to the airport at 5 AM, we saw giraffes and zebras against the sunrise over Nairobi.  It was awful saying goodbye to a country that has affected me so much over the past three and a half months.  I can’t believe how fast my time studying abroad went by.

I’m currently in London being a tourist for a few days and it’s so weird to be in a huge city.  The city is amazing though, and we’ve already seen quite a few sites.  I’m having a lot of fun and loving the hot showers!  Staying in a hostel is just like being back at home in my dorm and it’s actually comforting.  More to come soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment